I'd rather be burlesquing.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Maggie, my alter-ego

At the end of this month, I will have officially been working at my current job for a year, Which is quickly making this the longest job I have ever kept.

What can I say, I get bored easily.

I returned to work this morning after a two-week hiatus, in which I did nothing but eat Nibs licorice and drink Great Western beer.

To commemorate my return to work, the following happened to me this morning:

I was handed a package by one of my co-workers (who works down the hall, in the same department as me). I took the package, and quickly realised that it was addressed to someone named 'Maggie'. I am not Maggie. I have never been a 'Maggie'. I have worked with this person for a year. Throughout the course of this year, I have been in the same office, sitting at the same desk, staring at the same computer.

I looked at him suspiciously - things happen while you are on vacation - perhaps they have replaced me? Or hired an assistant? I finally gave in and said "I'm not Maggie. I'm Shannon", as I handed back the package.

Nothing.

Blank stare.

Finally, after a few precious moments of awkward silence, he exclaimed "Oh! You're not Maggie!". And we both chuckled heartily at the mistake.

Apparently, I'm not quite as integral to the running of my department as I had once thought.

Ah, the joy of being a temporary employee...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home